Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Upside to the treadmill

While I much prefer running around the Charles River here in Boston, when it's slushy and 21 degrees outside, I somehow find myself on the treadmill instead. There's a couple of tricks that I find really helpful if you are stuck on the treadmill, or, if you prefer the treadmill to outdoors; although let's be honest, it can admittedly get boring and dull.

For starters, you should change some setting on the treadmill, be it incline or speed, every 5 minutes. This will ensure that you stay engaged in your workout and often leads to you pushing yourself. My general rule of thumb is to increase the pace during the run, and usually insert a mile that includes a good incline for fake hill training. But I'm not allowed to slow the pace down; once you've committed to up it you're stuck my friend. It may seem sick and twisted but knowing I can't take it back down is perfect for ensuring that good workout.

Additionally what I find really helpful is if you can pick out a few TV shows (if there are tv's on your treadmill) that you like during the week and watch them while you're running. You know we all love to multi-task and it's not like you weren't going to watch Gossip Girl anyway, so why not feel good about yourself and motivate yourself to look like a cast member of the show while on the treadmill? This is one of my favorite times of the year with TV for two reasons.

1.) American Idol season has begun - I generally don't watch the entire season but we're at the beginning episodes that are just plain hilarious at times and I end up laughing and when you're laughing on a treadmill people kind of give you weird looks because they are most likely convinced that you are masochistic. But when an audition involves a woman saying "that came out of the wrong rectum" you just can't help yourself.
2.) Biggest Loser - I mean what will make you feel more motivated about working out then saying people heavier than you doing it and losing drastic weight. Last year this show was my go-to for long runs and I'd run the entire hour the show was on and it did not feel like an hour at all.

Anyway, I had a good 6 mile run tonight and have a huge blister on my right toe which I'm sure you all wanted to know about; pictures to come shortly :P

And as always don't forget to contribute to Dana Farber and my Boston Marathon fundraising effort at the link below:

http://www.runDFMC.org/ryanmeehan2009

No comments:

Post a Comment