Monday, February 16, 2009

Fast Training Update and Runner's High

Hey Guys!! How is everyone doing with this winter that just won't seem to end? Has everyone signed up for some sort of race to get them motivated in cold times like these? Let's be honest here for a moment, in a few months you're going to go "oh shit, it's almost summer and I'm out of shape". Don't go killing yourself to get back in shape because you let things slip during the winter; be proactive about it and sign up for a race like I told you; you'll thank me later hehe.

Anyway, to the heart of the matter; TRAINING!!! This past week I ran about 51-52 miles (sorry I don't track mileage to the tenth or anything lol). On Sunday I ran 17 miles although it wasn't a great run, but I finished and on some long runs that's all you can hope for. I thought today's run was going to be awful after the long run yesterday, but I ran 6.5 miles today and it was probably the easiest time I've ever had running that distance and I feel great. So you can thank the runner's high for the post; and if you don't know what a runner's high is you're missing one of the best parts of running. Basically when you run a distance of some length (different for each person) your body crosses an endurance threshhold upon which your body begins to produce endorphins which your body does to help you because it senses you may be in danger and gives you a heightened state of emotion. Many runners will feel extra speed and once they end the run feel overly happy. WARNING: You will not always be happy because although it's typical, you'll more specifically have more heightened emotions. I've been all over the spectrum and would suggest not watching any chick flicks or soppy movies or you will be a wreck; not that it's happened to me...

But no matter what emotions you feel with the runner's high, it's a free high and almost 30,000 will be experiencing it on 4/20 legally (the date of the marathon). The rest of the people that day are paying lol; sorry couldn't help but make the joke.

1 comment:

  1. Ryan,

    Nice to see you're enjoying the "fruits of your labors" given your runner's high. Glad you feel that they are "free" but to the non-runner, you pay a high price for these wonderful episodes of euphoria and enlightenment (long hours of relentless running). Not a cheap high, but surely one of the best and obviously well worth the price of admission.

    Keep on keepin' on

    ReplyDelete